Home | GC Friends | Recipes | Calendar
Garden Country
Please note that advertisements and solicitations are inappropriate on this BB.

Kaffir Lime cuttings?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
icebear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Kaffir Lime cuttings? Reply with quote

Something happened to my (indoor potted) kaffir lime. It got neglected a bit while it was living upstairs and i couldn't get to it. When its new leaves came in they didn't look so hot, they were thin and smaller than they should have been. i figured i'd fertilize it very lightly, let the soil dry out a bit between watering, etc. it looked really bad suddenly about 5 days ago and i don't have anything to repot it or anything. it had lost a whole branch over the winter. Further, this plant is close to 6 years old or more and has never shown a hint of flowering...

anyway, i hacked it to bits and got 7 pieces to try rooting. i used a powder rooting hormone and have them in peat pellets in a fairly humid, mini greenhouse, their spot gets somewhat bright, but no direct sunlight. the stump of the tree is also in there, i left it one tiny leaf & three mini branches and i guess i will see if it recovers.

i have no idea what its chances are.... Anyone know how well limes root if at all, and if they do, how long should it take to form roots? how about the hacked up remains?

i know i should have attempted to repot it, but none of you have ever tried to send my hubby out to get gardening stuff. he pays no attention to my hobby so he has zero clue what anything is. it would have taken him 3 trips to get decent garden soil. and another 5 to get a pot for it. Rolling Eyes
GC Friend
GC Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after searching Google (Kaffir Lime propagation)- looks like your chances are 50-50, but slow. Are you growing the tree for the leaves or fruit?

Spider mites and scale seem to be the two main pests
icebear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can be patient with cuttings.

i liked the leaves, but didn't use many because i didn't want to slow down its growth any. it would be nice to see fruit and flowers from it some day, but healthy leaves are acceptable if flowers & fruit are unlikely.

i had checked for scale and spidermite... i have battled both before and they were my first suspicion, but i didn't see any...

here's pics of the cuttings:

and here's whats left of the tree:

GC Friend
GC Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those little peat cubes are going to take a lot of watching to keep them from drying and just once could stop new rootlets. Like your bay, you need to get it out of those decorative pots. I always save my gal. and put up pots from shrubs etc. I buy for this sort of thing. They need room for new growth for sure. I also save smaller pots for rooting cuttings. I found they don't dry out as quickly. Get your hubby to drive you to the local HD. There you can drive along the row of bags and pick out what you need. You do need pots and hopefully you have laid some up somewhere.
icebear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to consistently overpot... now i'm in reverse Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no roots yet, but some of the cuttings have put up some leaf shoots... silly things....
GC Friend
GC Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how about the original tree. Any growth there. I don't know what you are using for a fert. but we use regular citrus food for our trees in Fla. Those spikes are supposed to feed for a whole year but when we get down there around the first of Dec. we spread a bag of composted cow manure around each trees drip area. When they have been picked and are coming into bud in Jan, Feb or March we throw some granular citrus food under each tree and then when we are leaving the end of April we pound the spikes (amount depending on tree size) arouind the drip edge. Our trees are lush, full and have great tasting fruit. Some people never feed their trees and you can certainly tell that. You are what you eat! LOL
icebear

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the mother plant tried to sprout a few leaves and a small branch, but isn't looking too successful at it.... but i repotted it today, so it should get better soon i hope Smile

for fertilizer i usually just scratched in a little houseplant osmocoat... i probably should look into something better for it.
GC Friend
GC Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A repotting probably will help it along. For the most part it isn't usually a good idea to feed a sick plant. It doesn't take much to finish some of them off. If you do feed use natural stuff not chemical.
GTO
GC Friend
GC Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icebear, get the mother plant outside...it needs a lot of light...water 1x a week and make sure that the water drains out of the pot
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Garden Country Forum Index -> Propagation All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: